Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Something Lovely About This

The Mining Journal has an astonishing market penetration in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and a reputation for an abrupt and in your face editorial policy. It is the one daily paper that everyone reads. More than once, I canceled my subscription on the heels of a run of hare brained opinions expressed by the editor. Today's hot letter to the editor expressed some very pointed, left of center, advice to readers. (That, in itself, is worth noting.) The editor, knowing the power of his publication, bothered to avoid any confusion that might cost a local funeral parlor business among its right wing or non ideological patrons. It is a lovely thing, this small town courtesy. The editor took the time to attach this line following a red hot letter:

Editor's note: Gordon C. Peterson is not to
be confused with Marquette resident
Gordon J. "Gordy" Peterson of
the Swanson-Lundquist Funeral Home.

I might have subscribed anew had I still lived in Marquette. Maybe. (IF I had some eggs, I'd have some ham and eggs, IF I had some ham.)

1 comment:

RENZ said...

Mark, every time the other Gordon Peterson has written a letter going back many years, the editor has published that comment. I suspect they heard from "Gordy" on one occasion many years back and got their ears boxed. I myself wrote a blistering letter one time when they published a press release verbatim from the hospital as if it was a news piece. From then on they put a tag line at the end stating if the piece was a "press release" from...