Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bareback Ridge, 1998


Last week, Eleanor and I made the trek up Bareback Ridge overlooking Harlow Lake on the Road to Big Bay, north of Marquette. Here is what I saw there a decade ago.

August, 1998

Maggie and I have mounted Bareback Ridge, sitting astride its peak. It is all downhill from here, steep downhill. Eagles ride the winds in the coves, foraging for critters. They are a magnificent sight, soaring below us. I watch the eagles with one eye, keeping a second eye out for Maggie, who likes to tightrope walk on the edges of the ridge. She is small enough to make a tasty snack for an eagle. A steady breeze flows out of the south east. It holds at bay a dark western overcast for the time being. We will not have long up here before the rain comes in.

We return home for lunch. We're pooped, both of us. Maggie naps. I jot down some notes. It has been a delicious hike.

Some things never change.

No comments: